Funny Story

Birbal was a minister in the court of Emperor Akbar. A lot of people loved him for his quick wit and humour.

However, a few jealous courtiers despised him.

Here was one such courtier, who had a dream of making his son the royal treasurer. However, he never succeeded. He thought that Birbal was spoiling his chances. So he decided to take revenge.

One day an opportunity presented itself to him when Birbal was late to the court.

He went up to Akbar and said, “ Your majesty, Birbal is again late today. He takes the court for granted. He must be taught a lesson.”

“Hmm. What do you think I should do?”, Akbar asked.

“ Deny every request that he makes today”, the courtier said.

“Done”, the Emperor promised.

After a while Birbal arrived at the court.

“Why are you late today, Birbal?”, Akbar asked.

“My wife is sick so I had to do the household chores. Forgive me for being so late,
Your majesty”, Birbal replied.

“No, I will not”, Akbar said.

“Ok. Shall we then discuss the matters of the court?”

“No, we shall not.”

“ Then can I go home?”

“No, you shall not.”

“May I sit down at least?”

“No, you shall remain standing till the evening.”



Akbar’s angry replies told Birbal something was wrong. He looked about in the court. Seeing Birbal’s discomfort, the courtier could not stop grinning.

 Birbal understood at once that who was the mischief maker.

Pointing towards the courtier, he said, “ Your majesty, I have one final request. Please appoint this courtier’s son as the royal treasurer.”

No, I shall not and never will”, the Emperor thundered.

Birbal rocked, courtier shocked! :)



Comments

Popular Posts